Friday

13 June 2008

at the moment I am training all the dogs to do scent discrimination which is not something I have done before. I have tried several different ways but what seems to be working best is to put out several unscented cloths. Then with the dog watching I throw an article in amongst the cloths and send the dog to retrieve it.


I do this a couple of times then throw the article and turn the dog around to break their line of sight to the article, then send the dog to get the article. Again I do this a couple of times then I turn the dog away from the cloths and throw the article in amongst the cloths then turn the dog back and send it to find the article from amongst the cloths.

All 3 girls seem to be getting the idea.
I have had problems in the past when I have tried to teach it with Dora just retrieving the first cloth she comes to but she does seem to be starting to understand that she has to search for a particular cloth.

No comments: