Tuesday

21 July 2009

WE HAVE PUPPIES.
Ruby had a restless night She flatly refused to go into the whelping box. She wanted a dark cave to hide in so I put up the soft crate, and once she found that I had blocked up the compost heap again she did consent to using the crate. She woke up several times to go out in the night and looked longingly at her den in the garden but I insisted she come back inside.


I was worried she would refuse to have the puppies in the house but eventually at 5:20 produced her first puppy, a dog, then 30 minutes later a bitch. she proceeded to have a pup every 30 minutes or so until she had 6 and then had a break for nearly 3 hours, during which time I moved the crate and transferred the puppies to the whelping box. It was getting rather too crowded in the crate.


Ruby seemed to be fairly settled and I wondered if the scan was wrong and she was only having 6 pups. After a couple of hours I decided to take Saffy and Dasiy for a walk as they were getting rather bored, so I left Robin in charge of Ruby and went out in the rain. I had only just got up the road when Robin called to say she had had another puppy.


All was quiet for another couple of hours, then out popped another dog pup. That was eight so I presumed she had finished. Then the plumber arrived to fix the radiator that had decided to start leaking, and once he had gone I went back to Ruby. She was standing up looking at the pups. I thought one looked rather damp so did a head count and found we now had 9. Ruby had produced another girl. the final (?) count is 9 puppies, 5 dogs and 4 bitches.

No comments: