Monday

24 March 2008

We went for a lovely long walk this morning. Stayed out about two hours. The dogs had a great time Saffy was a bit slower than when we started but Ruby was still zooming around as much as ever.

Finally got my seesaw out this afternoon. Ruby had seen it once yesterday when I tested it on the lowest setting and after some initial trepidation decided that it really was not too scary and went over it a couple of times. As the lowest setting does not work particularly well I put it up on the next level. I put it up at the side of the house next to the dog walk. The DW is now set at a whole 1ft high now and Ruby has been hoping onto the midle and doing the down ramp but is still reluctant to do the whole thing.


I took some liver and Ruby out to the seesaw and didn't say anything. Ruby trotted on to the DW and promptlytrotted all the way to the other end.then back again. I could see her taking little glances at the seesaw while determindely trotting back and forth over the DW for bits of liver. I let her do this a few times as she was happy with the DW then I changed my position relative to the Seesaw and waited again. Ruby came up looking worried put one paw on the seesaw and so I clicked, ran her out and played a big game of football with her. I will probably only do that one more time today and then leave it until tomorrow. Her dogwalk and Seesaw phobia is hugely improved but taking things slowly works far better with Ruby.

I brought Saffy out for a go on the seesaw. It is small enough that I can encourage Saf up the ramp, and have her pause at the tipping point while I feed her and allow it to tip very slowly. At first she was not sure about the movement but after a couple of goes was much more confident. I want her to learn to do the seesaw steadily. I don't want her to rush it and hurt herself.

Just went out with Ruby again and she did the DW several times and then again put a foot on the seesaw so again I clicked and called her off the seesaw for a game of football. I think the penny has dropped for her about how to get a game of football as she spent ages afterwards whining by the door ASKING to go out t0 the DW. This is a dog who at Christmas was so stressed by the DW that she could not eat within 20 feet of it and I was seriously considering giving up agility as her fear of the DW was making her frightened of the rest of the equipment. Even the sound of another dog running over it would cause her to shake.

Just went out to have a last go on the seesaw before it gets too dark and Ruby did half the DW and then came straight to the seesaw looked at me and put two paws on it. Of course I Clicked and called her off for a really good game of football.

I did it again with Saffy too. Already Saffy is quite confident tipping the seesaw and she really works her socks off for liver..


No comments: