Sunday

01 March 2008

We went to Reedyford Obedience Show near Preston. Dora was entered in Beginners and Novice. II decided to use both rounds as training rounds as this is the last show for Crufts. I took a toy into the ring and played with Dora then handed the toy to the steward who set us up to do some heelwork. this is the part that is most problematic for us. Once the toy has gone Dora tends to switch off and often does not start off when I do in heelwork. It can take anything up to half the round for her to get back to working. The last few days I ahve been setting up as normal and then setting off quickly to try to catch her out a bit I think she is taking more notice of what I am doing.

We did the set up 3 times in Novice. The first time she was quite hard to set up and didn't set off with me. The ring was right by the door so there was a lot to look at, the second and third times she set up much quicker without switching off.

In our beginner round we did the same and Dora set up well and set off with me doing some really nice heelwork.

Ruby was entered in beginners. I also did a training round with her. We did our round right at the end of the day. My only criteria was for her to play in the ring and not stress out. We had been in and out of the building several times during the day and she had been playing with a stuffed toy outside the ring in short bursts. I still need to keep a close eye on Ruby if other dogs come to close to us as she will nip them or react but the reactions now tend to be only one woof, She recovers very quickly.

We went into the ring with the toy and I set off straight into heelwotrk. The Steward was wandering about the ring. Ruby kept an eye on her but was not unduly worried. We did a circle of heelwork. Not really close but Ruby was paying attention to me most of the time. After a few steps of nice heeklowrk I clicked and produced the toy. She was able to play with it enthusiastically. I then did a very short recall, just the leads length into a present. No finish but she was able to do that and then had another play. no retrieve as I didn't want ot push her too hard. We talked to the judge afterwards and she was quite happy to let the judge stroke her head and ears. her eyes were nice and soft and her tail was not tucked. I was very pleased.

Steve was stewarding at the show and at lunchtime he went over Ruby. Ruby stod well for him. Steve took it very slowly and gradually worked up to running his hands right down her back. Her eyes were soft and her tail not tucked. HEr spine was straight. she only curved away from him once briefly. I left her harness on and of course the environment was different from a breed show.


Ann came to the show with Saffys brother it was lovely to see him again. Saffy had a really good time chasing round wuith him. Kobra was on a long line as he is not always reliable at coming back.They ran round and round us.

No comments: